About 'Alpha+Good'

Alpha+Good (a bad wordplay on Orwell's "double plus good" and old machismo - I'm the realest after all) is a side project that belongs to 'Onklare taal' ('Unclear' or 'Unripe language'), the umbrella of several literary projects in Dutch.

This section is almost exclusively in English and comprises my ongoing thoughts on progress, gender, politics and various other social themes. Why is this in English why everything else in Dutch? Because I want to gun for a much wider audience here. Also, my literary English isn't good enough, otherwise I would always write in English. In 2020, I released my debut novel 'Fragmentariërs' (it's written in Dutch, though who knows I may one day make an English translation).

Are you a little lost? This link will take you right back to my home page.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

20 people I admire (XIX): Laurie Penny

Who? Laurie Penny is a pretty prolific writer of opinion pieces, longreads and non-fiction. She’s been published on the Guardian, New Statesman and other highly-regarded progressive venues.

Why? Penny has a unique knack for capturing the jittery zeitgeist of contemporary progressive politics. She is both thoughtful as well as unapologetic for what she believes in, but interweaves it with a snuff of self-deprecation and compassion that makes her stand out as someone who is at once deeply humanist and also deeply human. 

What resonates with me? Her wit, derived from equal parts ironic distance and genuine engagement, makes her feel like some distant friend who knows what it’s like to suffer the sometimes banal struggles of trying to put ideals to practice. That, and her deeper insights into the collective psyche of the Anglosphere, and by extension, the West.

Best bit?Maybe you should just be single’ (shameless plug: here's my response

Next up: FKA twigs, British musician, performer and dancer