About 'Alpha+Good'

Alpha+Good (a bad wordplay on Orwell's "double plus good" and old machismo - I'm the realest after all) is a side project that belongs to 'Onklare taal' ('Unclear' or 'Unripe language'), the umbrella of several literary projects in Dutch.

This section is almost exclusively in English and comprises my ongoing thoughts on progress, gender, politics and various other social themes. Why is this in English why everything else in Dutch? Because I want to gun for a much wider audience here. Also, my literary English isn't good enough, otherwise I would always write in English. In 2020, I released my debut novel 'Fragmentariërs' (it's written in Dutch, though who knows I may one day make an English translation).

Are you a little lost? This link will take you right back to my home page.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

20 people I admire (XV): Mike Dierickx

Who? Mike Dierickx, also known as Mike Push or M.I.K.E. or a myriad of other pseudonyms, is a supremely talented electronic music producer from Belgium who has finally been getting his due in national media.

Why? Even during the period when lazy anthemic trance was big, Mike kept pushing the envelope and released track after track that demonstrated both his technical craftsmanship as well as his fine-tuned ear for what might work on a dance floor. 

What resonates with me? Even though Dierickx claims his initial influences mostly came from new wave music, there’s little of that bleakness in his productions. Even middling efforts from him always sound full and sumptuous, with a full understanding of what makes people want to dance in a club.

Best bit? Obviously his only chart hit ‘Universal Nation’ has become embraced by a generation by now, but I would personally choose his club mix of ‘Tranzy State of Mind’. TSoM is beautiful to listen to, filled with so many delicate touches and samples, building up so exquisitely and so hypnotizing in the total bliss it gives its listeners.

Next up: Molly Crabapple, an American illustrator