About 'Alpha+Good'

Alpha+Good (a bad wordplay on Orwell's "double plus good" and old machismo - I'm the realest after all) is a side project that belongs to 'Onklare taal' ('Unclear' or 'Unripe language'), the umbrella of several literary projects in Dutch.

This section is almost exclusively in English and comprises my ongoing thoughts on progress, gender, politics and various other social themes. Why is this in English why everything else in Dutch? Because I want to gun for a much wider audience here. Also, my literary English isn't good enough, otherwise I would always write in English. In 2020, I released my debut novel 'Fragmentariërs' (it's written in Dutch, though who knows I may one day make an English translation).

Are you a little lost? This link will take you right back to my home page.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

20 people I admire (XX): FKA twigs

Who? FKA twigs (FKA meaning ‘formerly known as’ because apparently there’s some other twigs out there) is a British musician, performer and dancer known for her ‘dark’ r&b-style and eccentric electronic music performances.

Why? Around 2015, twigs emerged with a style that seemed like a continuation of refreshing themes in electronic music started by artists like Burial and the Hyperdub label, yet suffused it with production, rhythm, theme and voice elements all her own. 

What resonates with me? She toys with themes in a clever way that rarely gets overwrought, blending visuals and topics with an exciting, almost tangible hum that is always there in the background. Her music feels both deeply personal as well as accessible. Her skill at performing just tops it all off.

Best bit? My personal favourite of hers is probably ‘Papi Pacify’, a track that manages to arouse, slow down, call up some of the mind’s darkest recesses, and is a technical piece of perfect progression. It captures the feeling of being lost in an altered mental state with total confidence and frailty intact. 

Next up: None, or well, perhaps some summary, aye?